Using Senaite to manage stock inventory

Hi everyone

First of all I would like to say how happy I am to find Senaite and to see how thriving the community is. It is very exciting for our company which is a small startup working with bacteria in the lab. I already received some support with troubles getting it up and running which I appreciate a lot.

I’ve got Senaite LIMS set up with a fresh install, but I’m having trouble figuring out how to use it to manage the stock inventory of our lab. In addition to tracking samples that have come from a client that needs processing, we would like to manage an overview of the status of our inventory that we use to process client samples. Is this something Senaite has been designed to be able to do? I found this reference to an inventory module in Bika https://github.com/bikalims/bika.lims/wiki/GSoC-·-Inventory-Management-Module which in some way addresses the problem, but I’m getting a little confused, because in some senses it looks like Bika has been discontinued, and I also seem to find hints suggesting that Bika is a part of Senaite, judging from the presence of bika_setup in Senaite.

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be of great help.

Our Senaite setup was installed in Plone 4.3.18 (4320) and added as an egg in the buildouts.cfg.

Simen

1 Like

Hi Simen,

I am afraid this Inventory Management module for Bika was defined but never developed, thus when Senaite forked from Bika no module was ported.

BaobabLims (https://github.com/BaobabLims/baobab.lims), like Senaite, is a fork of the BikaLims code base. Both forks have made significant changes to the original. Baobab have developed storage related enhancements for it’s use in the BioBank application. I’m not sure how difficult it will be to incorporate them into senaite.storage.

1 Like

Hello,
Do you think that it would make sense to try to extract the inventory related module from BaobabLims or just create our own? We want to add an inventory module and make it available to the community soon.

1 Like

@sufrjo How did you solve the problem of inventory management?

Hi @braunjulia

BIKA Labs should be working on Inventory Management. The public information I have is from this newsletter and the specification document

1 Like