Help Needed: Installing and Customizing Senaite LIMS on Ubuntu Server

Hi everyone,

I’m reaching out to the community because I’m hoping to get some guidance on installing and customizing Senaite LIMS. I’m planning to set it up on an Ubuntu server, but I’m finding the online documentation a bit outdated and there seems to be a lot of conflicting information scattered around the web.

Specifically, I’d appreciate some clarity on the following:

• Installation Process: Could someone outline a clear and up-to-date process for installing Senaite LIMS on Ubuntu? Understanding the differences between senaite.core and senaite.lims during installation would be very helpful.
  • Customization: Once I have Senaite LIMS installed, I’d like to make some customizations. Are there specific steps I should follow to ensure these customizations are implemented correctly and don’t cause any issues?

If there’s a recent and reliable installation guide available, I would be incredibly grateful for a link!

Any help or insights from the community would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and expertise!

Best regards

I’ve installed it a couple of times recently after much trial and error. Put my notes here: Wikipaulia — An epidemiologist dabbles in statistics, coding, open source software and the cloud.

Won’t necessarily work if SENAITE has been updated since, but if you root through the Docker image source files for any new version as I indicate, you should be able to work out the critical combination of Plone and Python package versions needed. Resist the temptation to use anything other than Ubuntu 18.04.

1 Like

Follow the Senaite Documentation for creating a new user, installing miniconda and creating a Python 2.7 environment.

Then this is taken directly from the Senaite Community post titled “2.5.0 setup problem”, I made some minor edits

Step 1 install Plone 5.2.14

wget --no-check-certificate https://launchpad.net/plone/5.2/5.2.14/+download/Plone-5.2.14-UnifiedInstaller-1.0.tgz
tar -xf Plone-5.2.14-UnifiedInstaller-1.0.tgz
cd Plone-5.2.14-UnifiedInstaller-1.0
./install.sh standalone --target=/home/senaite --instance=senaitelims --password=mypassword

(I omitted this --with-python=/home/senaite/miniconda2/bin/python)

Step 2 - edit eggs and versions in “senaitelims/buildout.cfg”

eggs =
Plone
senaite.lims
simplejson

(here you need to “unpin” the zc.buildout and setuptools versions, delete what’s there and leave it blank. You’re going to add the versions in requirements.txt)

[versions]
zc.buildout =
setuptools =
Pillow = 5.1.0
cssselect2 = 0.2.2
soupsieve = 1.9.5
plone.recipe.unifiedinstaller = 5.2b1
buildout.sanitycheck = 1.0.2
collective.recipe.backup = 4.1.0

Step 3 - edit “senaitelims/requirements.txt”

setuptools == 44.1.1
zc.buildout == 2.13.3
wheel

Step 4 - install requirements and Senaite 2.5.0 by running

pip install -r requirements.txt
PYTHONHTTPSVERIFY=0 buildout

This worked for me installing on Ubuntu Server 22.04.

Now as far as customization goes, this is something I also need help with if anyone wants to chime in on customizing the CoA logo. Thanks in advance!