Synology NAS to run Docker image of SENAITE LIMS?

I would like to know if there are any labs that use SENAITE LIMS on a in-house production server instead of hosting? How difficult is it to keep up maintain?

I have played ouround with a synology NAS installed docker and the senaite docker package. All seems to run fine, would this be a solution to run inhouse with less than 10 users?

This would reduce setup costs significantly and allow owners to have a bit more control?

I am not at all a programmer of technical expert, I just applied on what I read on forums and have been succesfull thus far. I know what I am asking might not be possible but I lack the understanding, hence the question.

Hi @francois,

Synology NAS systems come usually with a very weak CPU and at most 2 GB of RAM, which will be way to less to run SENAITE seriously in production mode.

It is likely that you will get quickly get a very slow performance or worse, that the process get killed because it runs out of memory.

Best regards
Ramon

1 Like

@ramonski Thank you very much. It was the answer I excpected. Thank you for confirming. I can see the system use almost all resources with only two users at the same time.

Would it be sufficient to to deply the docker image on a more powerfull machine. Would this be sufficient for production? What would be the system requirements for a lab with less than 10 users?

Hi @francois,

we usually recommend our clients to have at least the following specification for a production server:

• 16 GB RAM
  • 256 GB (fast writable!) SSD
  • 4 cores

We either deploy then on these machines directly a cluster setup with at least 2 instances running in parallel over a load balancer, or provide a VM with the whole infrastructure already setup.

When going with a VM, we recommend to go with either Proxmox or ESXi as Hypervisor and advise against using VirtualBox as virtualization environment.

When you want to go with Docker, you should have the same specifications, but should run then a webserver (e.g. NGINX) and load balancer (e.g. HAProxy) in front of a ZEO base cluster setup.

Best regards
Ramon

2 Likes

Hi @ramonski

Thank you very much for the information. It makes alot more sence now