Upgrade core 2.0

Currently I’m on senaite core 1.3.4 and need to upgrade to 2.0. Already downloaded the core 2.0 from GitHub. How do I install it?
Tried to install by adding to buildout. Then I got error core version 1.4 need to be installed to upgrade to core version 2.0. Couldn’t find core 1.4. pls help.

Anyone there to help?

Hey @seetalahoru!

You’ll need both the 2.x version of Senaite.Core AND Senaite.LIMS. Sometimes Buildout is smart enough to find the 2.x Core requirement for LIMS, but if you already had a 1.x version installed, it may be getting confused.

We personally had a hard time upgrading from 1.3 to 2.0 while the site was in place, and instead opted to export our data out to spreadsheets using the Senaite API (Partially because we had customized the site improperly). We then Built a fresh site with 2.0 installed and scripted the data back in (also using the Senaite API).

Senaite 1.3 is on Plone 4.3, while Senaite 2.0 is on Plone 5.2, and there were MAJOR changes to the underlying Plone mechanisms that Senaite is built on top of.

That being said, you can certainly try to upgrade it in place :slight_smile: but I’m not sure how smoothly Plone itself handles the upgrade from Plone 4 to Plone 5 once data is created in the site.

3 Likes

Could you please explain how can I fresh install with senaite core 2.0

have you found out how to do it? i need the same help :smiley:

I also need the installation guide for senaite core 2.0. Thank you first!

Depends on how you prefer to host Plone. The simplest way to spin up a fresh site would be to use the 2.0 Senaite Docker Image using:
docker pull ramonski/senaite:v2.0.0rc3

You can also use a more traditional Plone installation like the Plone Unified Installer.

Senaite 2.0 is not yet released on Pypi, so you will need to Clone the 2.x Branch of both senaite.core and senaite.lims (and senaite.impress and senaite.jsonapi if you are using those) from the Senaite Github Repos just like you would any other Development Egg.

Ensure you have all of the system dependencies listed for:
Plone 5 required libraries
Pillow installation requirements
Senaite installation requirements

Senaite 2.x currently uses Plone 5.2.2 at the time of writing this, so ensure you download the correct Unified Installer. Once installed, spin up a new site and clone the repositories you need into the src/ directory for your buildout. Make sure the eggs are added as both Plone eggs AND Develop eggs.

buildout.cfg

# Eggs
eggs =
    Plone
    Pillow
    Products.PloneHotfix20200121
	senaite.core
	senaite.lims
	senaite.impress
	senaite.jsonapi

# ...Some lines later...
# Development Eggs
develop =
#    src/my.package
	src/senaite.core
	src/senaite.lims
	src/senaite.impress
	src/senaite.jsonapi

Then run your buildout, and you should have a fresh Senaite 2.0 site ready to run.